|Image via Flickr CC 2.0 by |
John 8:32 And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
Discovering the truth on a planet like Earth is not an easy proposition. However, it can be done, given proper study and insight. The Spirit of God provides power to see through lies to the truth. The Spirit of God allows one to see the realities behind the false constructs of the world around us.
There are many things Christians should know about politics, other religions, science, history, philosophy, the media, industries, medicine, and other fields as well.
This list is not exhaustive, but it will provide a brief framing of some of the central truths of this world and things Christians should know about a modern and post-modern society. Discernment is key. Each issue will be occupied with a link further expanding on the topic. To dive into organizations and further study have a look at the links section.
1. Christians need to know that they have power and authority in the name of Jesus Christ, by the power of the Holy Spirit. -The Power of the Christian Soldier
Luke 10:19 (ESV) Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you.
2. Christians need to know that much of truth is suppressed and hidden in modern society. -The Entrenched vs. the Minimized: Five Paradigms
Galatians 1:3-4 (NIV) Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, 4 who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father
3. Christians need to know that most common foods in the USA are genetically modified and not necessarily safe for consumption. -GMO Facts
Daniel 1:8 (NIV) But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way.
4. Christians need to know that US Politics are mired by high levels of corruption. - Christians in Politics: A Brief Analysis of Issues
2 Peter 2:19 (ESV) They promise them freedom, but they themselves are slaves of corruption. For whatever overcomes a person, to that he is enslaved.
5. Christians need to know that business and banking in the world is mired by high levels of corruption. Top 30 Documentaries on Corruption
2 Corinthians 11:13-15 (ESV) For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.
6. Christians need to know that the Bible has not been disproven in any way. Does the Bible have errors? - Norm Geisler
Psalm 119:160 (ESV) The sum of your word is truth, and every one of your righteous rules endures forever.
7. Christians need to know that intelligent design is reasonable scientifically. Philosophy, Science, Logic, and History: Presentations on the truth of Christianity from Multiple Disciplines
Hebrews 11:3 (NLT) By faith we understand that the entire universe was formed at God's command, that what we now see did not come from anything that can be seen.
8. Christians need to know that Jesus Christ made clear claims to exclusivity, making him the only one true way.
- Religion or Relationship? Good deeds or Jesus Christ?
- 12 YouTube Sermons by Mark Driscoll on Jesus Christ
- The Philosophy of Jesus Christ
- Jesus: The God who Came
- Why is Jesus the perfect example to follow?
9. Christians need to understand that we live in a fallen world of temptation.
1 Corinthians 10:13 (ESV) No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
10. Christians need to understand that the path of following Jesus is a path of radical dedication and a sincere attempt to live in holiness. Life Formula for the Growing Christian
1 Peter 1:14-16 (ESV) As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”
Luke 14:26-27 (NIV) If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. 27 And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.
11. Christians need to know that they are called to serve the poor and empower the weak. The Power of Love in Western Culture
Matthew 25:35-40 (NIV) 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
12. Christians need to know they are the beloved priests of God on Earth, mighty and strong. Justification by Faith Alone, but What is Faith?
1 Peter 2:9 (NIV) But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.
|Image via Flickr CC 2.0 by |
Paul L Dineen